Keeping up Conventions
Steering the meetings industry in Krakow – Appraisal and monitoring of the economic influence of the meetings industry on Krakow’s economy, using good practice from Switzerland. The importance of Krakow meetings industry appears to be growing with every year. It can be concluded only on the basis of the number of congresses and conferences organized in our city.
As a result of several years of co-operation between Krakow Convention Bureau, Municipality of Krakow with the Cracow University of Economics Foundation and Krakow Festival Office it has been decided to apply for external funds for analysis of actual importance of the meetings industry in Krakow. Prepared project application was on the first position in the ranking of applications qualified for financing. Substantive justification, assumed research methodology and experience of Polish and Swiss partners proved high quality of the venture and reliability of scheduled works.
The key project objective is to assess and monitor economic impact of meetings industry on economy of Krakow with the application of good practices from Switzerland. The project achieves objectives of Partner Fund: to promote, create and strengthen partnership by exchange of good practices and know-how between Polish local government units (Municipality of Krakow, City Council – leader of the project) and institutions (Cracow University of Economics Foundation and Krakow Festival Office – project partners) and Swiss institutions (University of Applied Sciences of Western Switzerland HES-SO Valais – project partner).
In 2009, Krakow Convention Bureau, Municipality of Krakow in agreement with key entities related to meetings industry in Krakow started the process of analysis of the number and structure group business meetings organized in our city. The research was carried out at the same time when Poland Convention Bureau of Polish Chamber of Tourism and regional convention offices from leading Polish metropolises commenced similar activities. In order to change stereotypical conviction of insignificant role of meetings industry for economy substantial and reliable data are required which would demonstrate the benefits of this industry for the cities, regions or the country.
Objective of the project “Steering the meetings industry in Krakow – Appraisal and monitoring of the economic influence of the meetings industry on Krakow’s economy, using good practice from Switzerland” is to provide to the key institutions and organizations of our city the knowledge about the role of local meetings industry for the economy of Krakow. The objective will be achieved by means of analysis and subsequent monitoring of the local meetings industry.
The project in its essence is intended for entities of the meetings industry. Among the benefits it provides them with we can list: • information about the importance of this sector in Krakow – of particular importance in developing business plans for new investments essential for the industry,
- preparation of specific data about the role of local meetings industry for the managements of Krakow chambers, associations and organizations connected with tourism and services,
- use of obtained data as an argument in creating future city development strategies, sectoral and horizontal strategies, in the future Małopolska Regional Operational Programme,
- getting acquainted with experience of activities carried out in the meetings sector in Switzerland, with specifics of the country and the industry development conditioning,
- applying good Swiss practices to activities of individual entities of the meetings industry,
- possibility to actively join in the project operations offering participating companies, the number of which is limited,
- access to prepared results of analyses (before official publication of the final report),
- participation in meetings, workshops and conventions organized as part of the project in the progress of which company employees have the possibility to expand their knowledge within the scope included in the activities,
- increasing the popularity of Krakow convent centres and intermediaries in Poland and Europe thanks to promotion of the meetings industry project,
- improved information exchange allowing to coordinate development activities in the meetings industry,
- listing information about company participation in the project (name of a representative, website, company logo) on the project website and the final report.